After 5 years as Senior Producer, Joon Lynn is leaving IBT to begin independent research into social practices and migrant-led initiatives.
What a whirlwind, what a pleasure and privilege it has been to work with IBT over the last 5 years. Moments I will hold closely:
1. My first task: delivering the UK leg of Up To Nature, a festival crossing 4 European forests over the seasons in 2012. From the shorelines of a Finnish island, the sight of 20 artists, feral with tangled wreaths in their hair, mourning their return to the city.
2. Excavating architectural archives to find the sublime practice of Fujiko Nakaya, and understanding that practice is life-long – in this case 84 years and counting. Working with Fujiko, engineers, harbour masters and weather forecasts over 2 years to transform a Bristol bridge into a single cloud.
3. The utter exhilaration and transformative power of (M)imosa / Twenty Looks or Paris is burning at the Judson Church (M), with Trajal Harrell, Cecilia Bengolea, Francois Chaignaud and Marlene Freitas. An exhilaration similarly found between 45 Bristolians who performed together for the first time on stage for 600 HIGHWAYMEN’s The Record.
4. The deep and painful dialogue that took place around Brett Bailey’s Exhibit B’s London closure in 2014. The first time the arts took front page news and where complex lines were drawn. Waking up to how inequality must be addressed on an structural level, from the organisation within which we sit to the historical systems we have inherited.
5. How entertaining and educative it is to topple hierarchies between children and adults. We need a nationwide curriculum with Mammalian Diving Reflex’s Nightwalks with Teenagers and Sibylle Peter & Live Art Development Agency’s Playing Up!
6. This team of women that have made and are IBT. Your imagination, your gritted teeth, your brilliance. You will stay with me.
We will be recruiting for a Senior Producer to join the team at In Between Time in late April. Please follow us on social media to keep up to date and sign up to our newsletter for the latest news and opportunities.